Improve your smile with healthy food choices. Knowing what foods and drinks to consume will not only affect your waistline but can also play a big role on the health of your gum line as well. Due to the fact that tooth decay and gum disease could be the result of what you eat, take the time to look at your own diet and make the alterations necessary to turn your smile around and into one that is healthy and happy. Listed below are a few first-rate dietary guidelines to improve your nutrition and your oral health:
– Look for foods with high water content that are crunchy, such as pears and apples, as they are terrific options for washing away food residue and harmful acids and increasing saliva production.
– Saliva can neutralize acids in your mouth, so try introducing saliva-producing foods to your diet, including chewing sugarless gum, which has been proven to spur on saliva production and aid in the prevention of cavities after meals.
– Avoid simple sugars and carbohydrates, as plaque buildup and bacteria in our mouths can convert these ingredients into dangerous acids that can eat through tooth enamel.
– Avoid eating foods in between meals, including during times of snacking or as standalone sweets.
– Some elements in foods can remineralize our teeth for healthier and stronger tooth enamel, including minerals such as calcium and phosphorous which are often found in foods such as chicken, cheese, nuts, and milk.
If you are showing signs of tooth decay or gum disease, come visit Peak Dental Care for treatment today. With the helpful support of Dr. Scott Lindsay and our wonderful team at our dentist office in Centennial, Colorado, we can restore your smile to its former glory. To schedule an appointment, call us at 720-489-0797. We will get you back to smiling once more!