What is a night guard?
A night guard, also called an occlusal (bite) guard, is a specialized mouth guard used to treat bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching). While some patients consciously grind and clench their teeth, many people who suffer from bruxism are unaware of the condition because they unknowingly clench and grind while they sleep. When left untreated, bruxism can lead to painful symptoms and tooth damage. To prevent this, our dentist may recommend a night guard. This oral appliance fits over your teeth and is worn only at night while you sleep, preventing the teeth from grinding against each other. Regularly wearing your occlusal guard as instructed can help to protect your dental health and prevent the painful symptoms associated with bruxism.
Do I need a night guard?
The following are common signs and symptoms of teeth grinding and clenching:
- Extreme tooth wear, exposing the inner layers of the tooth
- Chronic jaw pain, as well as a tight, tired feeling in the jaw muscles
- Facial pain
- Pain and ringing in the ears
- Teeth that are cracked, chipped, very worn down, or flattened
- Frequent migraines and tension headaches
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
If you notice any of these symptoms, we encourage you to contact Dr. Scott Lindsay about treatment for teeth grinding in Centennial, Colorado. We are dedicated to finding the solution you need to live free from pain and protect your oral health. Call us today at Peak Dental Care to learn more!