Just like your natural teeth, your dentures need to be thoroughly cleaned each day. If you clean them on a regular basis, you won’t have issues with denture odors, stains, or smile-threatening bacteria. However, some people aren’t quite sure how to clean their appliance. If you are one of these people, we are happy to help you by recommending that you do the following things:
· Rinse the denture after eating: Run your appliance under water after you have eaten, whether it was a meal or snack. Rinsing the denture will help remove the food particles that are stuck between your artificial teeth. Please be careful as you handle the appliance because if you drop it, it can easily break.
· Clean your mouth: When you take your denture out for the day, clean your smile with the proper tools. If you still have natural teeth remaining, clean those chompers with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. If you don’t, clean your gums, cheeks, tongue, and roof of your mouth with a soft toothbrush or with a gauze pad. This will help keep your appliance clean.
· Brush your denture daily: Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and nonabrasive toothpaste to brush your artificial teeth each day. This will help remove the harmful substances that threaten to destroy your smile.
· Soak the denture: It’s vital that you keep your denture moist when it is out of your mouth. If you don’t, the appliance could warp. So, make sure you place your denture in a glass of water or mild cleaning solution overnight.
· Visit your dentist: Visit the dentist every six months for a routine cleaning. This will allow our dental team to professionally clean your denture and eliminate the plaque that is living on it. This will help you keep a clean denture as well as a strong oral health.
Dentures are reliable appliances that can give you the smile of your dreams—all you need to do is take good care of them by cleaning them each day. If you have any questions about denture care or cleaning, please feel free to call Peak Dental Care and ask Dr. Scott Lindsay or a member of our caring dental team. All you need to do is dial 720-420-6226 and we will be here to help you!